Vegan & Gluten-Free Quinoa-Stuffed Peppers Adapted from Hyvee Seasons Magazine:
Ingredients: Serves 6 (1 bell pepper each)
1 cup low-sodium, gluten free vegetable stock
1 cup fresh apple cider
1 teaspoon fennel seed, lightly crushed
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/4 cups diced celery
1 onion, diced
2 granny smith apples, cored and finely chopped
Salt and Pepper to taste
1/2 cup dried cranberries (or raisins)
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh sage (or 2 tsp.crumbled dried leaves)
1/2 tablespoon fresh thyme (or 1/2 tsp.dried)
1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
6 medium green bell peppers, tops cut off and hollowed
1) Prep the bell peppers in the Marinade Express, using the unflavored MX Marinade for 5 minutes. This removes bacteria, dirt, and pesticides from veggies and fruits. Drain the peppers inverted..
2) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium saucepan, bring the vegetable stock, apple cider, and fennel seeds to a boil. Add quinoa, cover and allow to simmer until all the liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
3) Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute the onion and garlic until the onion becomes translucent, about 10 minutes. Add celery, apples, salt and pepper for about 5 minutes or until the vegetables are slightly tender.
4) Combine quinoa and sauteed vegetables and fruit. Stir in cranberries (or raisins), thyme, sage and pecans. Spoon stuffing into bell peppers then stand upright in a baking dish.
5) Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until peppers are tender and stuffing is heated through. Serve and enjoy!